- 1 pkt Zafarelli Denti Rigati
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, slightly crushed
- 150g pancetta, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced finely
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 4 large field mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g tin of brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 700g tomato passata
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup of small basil leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 100g pecorino, grated
- Heat the oil and garlic in a large pot. Add pancetta, celery, thyme and mushrooms and cook on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the tomato paste into the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomato passata and stock, then bring to the boil. Once boiled, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Next add the pasta to the pot and cook pasta as per packet directions.
- Remove the pot with the sauce from the heat and cover for 2 minutes. Remove the garlic and thyme and then tear the basil leaves into the pot.
- Add pasta to the sauce and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated pecorino.